Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nothing Much

I'm sorry for the long absence, but I have really and truly had NOTHING to blog about. We have been hanging out at home a lot (see below post) although there was ONE day last week that the weather was randomly 50 degrees and sunny (that's warm for those of you in So Cal) so we went to the park, on a walk - it was lovely. And it's back to snowy and temps in the teens, so time to get creative with indoor activities!!!

Since pictures always make a blog more interesting, here are some leftover from Addie's REAL birthday, which was a Monday night. We made mini-pizzas, she wore her little tiara that my mom sent (which, as you'll see below, was a hit with BOTH kids) and had cake and ice cream.


She helped me decorate the cake earlier that day - it looked pretty interesting!

Addie has been displaying some very...toddler-like behaviors lately. And unlike some of my friends, I took NO child development classes in college and feel like, OK what the heck am I supposed to do??!! (Boy, those PoliSci classes are really paying off!!) Anyway, I checked out a few books from the library to skim over and I thought I'd throw this one out there for anybody who may need some help. It's called Toddler 411 and I like that the author is pretty straightforward about what is realistic expectations for a toddler, etc.

Davis is doing great - he got another ear infection last week, so he's slowly getting back to his normal happy self. (I think it's ironic that Addie who was formula fed had ZERO ear infections and Davis who is NOT has had TWO! I was sitting in the doctor's office with him last week and they have this "Why you should nurse your baby" poster and one of the reasons was "fewer ear infections." Whatever!)

Jeremy's school is going well - I really thought I would be much more interested in absolutely everything he's learning and doing, etc. but with two kids and friends and projects at home it's more of a quick "how was your day" conversation. He generally goes to bed late and is up and out of the house by 6-ish, and is home by 5-ish, which is GREAT for me, but does make for long days for him. Although they just get longer from here, so we are enjoying the time together.

(I have no pictures of Jeremy, so med student cartoons have to do.)

He DID tell me in a very "oh, by the way" manner that he got an Honors grade for his PBL (that's problem-based learning, I have learned some things) group for this last core - which is really great. He's actually got an Honors grade for every PBL this year, so far. It's good news because if you get three or more honors grades, they use it to bump up your average test grade at the end of the semester by 1 point. Are you still with me??? :)

Anyway, I wanted to share and I know Jeremy doesn't make a deal out of it. He really excels in dealing with the practical side of medicine - the clinics (they had to learn sutures this week - on a pigs foot...), the small groups, working with his preceptor, etc. which I knew he would. Anyway, congratulations to him and there are times it's crazy to think we are halfway done with the first year.

I'm doing great - oh, just got a new calling my ward. Are you ready for this?? They want me to teach. Teach NURSERY. That's right. As if I don't have enough day to day experience teaching nursery kids - I now get to spend two hours with them on Sunday!!! Can you believe this? Anyway! The manual is cute and has cute lessons in it. I am teaching "I Can Pray" on Sunday. I'll let you know how THAT goes. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh nursery! How I never want to be in there again. Although it mean Claire would stay in there. But the point for me is to have a break from that. I guess that it depends on the kids cause i had some pretty awful kids, now i teach Relief Society which I really like now but it has taken 2 years. Thats interesting about the nursing and ear infection thing. Claire was bottle fed and only has had one ear infection. Interesting! Its almost like Claire knows that since she is 2 she can act like it. I'm curious to what my doctor will say cause at her 1 year she told me that this is going to the hardest year but I didn't think it was too bad. I've only visited my aunt that one time. I told them i want to come back but in the summer/fall time. Spring, i think you guys get some bad storms, lots of rain. And i really want to visit some places and not to be tied to the house because of weather. But i have some thing coming this summer/fall that I won't be able to come this year. Maybe next year. We will have to get together when i do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff going on. Sounds like your hubby is busy....and smart. Yeah for him! And a pigs foot...nice. I guess he has to practice on something, better than someone. :) That's great you're reading books trying to figure out your toddler. Better than what most parents do.....let their toddler rule the nest. I agree about the nursing. I nursed my twins for a little bit, and they had tons of ear infections. I didn't nurse Cody at all, and he has had none. Crazy! Go with what works...right? Glad the weather is getting a little warmer. It started snowing again today here, so who knows what we are going to get. Come on Spring...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are not the Relief Society Activities Leader (or whatever your official last calling in Meridian was)... Even though it is SO MUCH fun! Nursery shouldn't be too bad, they don't really care if you mess up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um . . . ok, first off- I'm the worst aunt EVER because although I totally thought of her- I never said HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Addie. And, I seriously have a gift that I've been meaning to send for like 3 weeks now, so I'm rude, but do my thoughts count for something? Second- so awesome to hear that Jeremy is doing so well! That's great! Third- Jezelle wasn't breast fed either and has NEVER had an ear infection. I mentioned that to a friend of mine who says her one of three children who was NOT breast fed is her healthiest of the 3. Yeah- WHAT?! And last- are you only teaching the lesson in nursery or are you in there for the whole two hours? What the heck? I've always said that if they called me to nursery that is the one calling I would just say NO to! :) ....maybe next time I should just email you all my important points about your blogging comments. Ok- bye bye now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- and good for you for being pro-active about your child's behavior and reading up on it! That is huge. Most parents do nothing and just accept how they are- so annoying. I may have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear an update. I am glad you bragged about Jeremy he deserves it. I also love the cartoon! Addy is getting so BEAUTIFUL. I can not believe how much she has changed and what a little girl she is becoming. Miss you a ton.

    ReplyDelete