Friday, April 10, 2009

Exciting Day

After a restless night (for all of us!) Davis and I were out the door at 6:30 am this morning to check him in at the hospital to get tubes in his ears. Unfortunately, I totally spaced that I needed gas (as in "hmmm...how long has that gas light been on???) *sorry, Dad* so we had to make a quick stop and then were on our way - a little quicker this time so we could make sure to be there on time.

The staff and nurses were great, and I'm sure they say this to every parent, but they loved Davis and thought he was the cutest thing. He was smiling and happy throughout the whole morning. I took out my camera (didn't remember gas, did remember the camera) and went to take a picture of him in his little hospital pajamas and the batteries died (ok, so I'm a space-cadet all around today). So, we had to make do with semi-horrible quality pictures taken from my cell.

I'm happy to say the surgery was a total success and the ENT (who couldn't have been nicer and we figured was probably around Jeremy's age) said his hearing will be dramatically improved and to keep him away from loud noises today until he builds up his tolerance. (How am I supposed to keep him away from a noisy two-year-old?)

Thanks to all of the texts and emails and offers of support. Thanks, especially, to Malissa and Jeffrey and Brooklyn for entertaining Addie this morning. She had a total blast.

It just hit me when they took him away on that stretcher the amount of agony parents of young kids with chronic, life-threatening conditions must feel every day. I'm so grateful for my healthy kids and just keep thinking about families who feel this way with their kids so often.

I hope every has a wonderful Easter weekend!!

This was D post-Demerol dose but pre-surgery. He started getting loopy and kept poking my eyes and nose. The nurse said it was probably because he was seeing three of them!!

All hooked up. Look at those chubby toes.

Post-surgery. He woke up in the recovery room and wouldn't settle down for the nurse (imagine that!) so they brought him to me. He fell asleep on my chest and kept waking up every few minutes and would half-eyed check that I was still holding him, then turn around and see that Jeremy was still in his chair across the room, then promptly pass back out.

They wouldn't let us be discharged until he woke up, and I knew he would sleep forever on my chest, so we put him in the little crib and he stayed asleep for about five minutes and then woke up. Yay - we got to go home.

We took his little PJ shirt off - it was huge and was bugging him. This is after he woke up. A little dazed but happy!

Here is he starting to wake up. Look at that belly!

Happy to be heading home!

7 comments:

  1. Im so glad everything went ok.. He is a cutie pie.. Have a great Easter Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly. He looks adorable in those hospital jammers! Hopefully he'll stop getting sick now! Happy Easter - we're missing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad all went well. He seriously looks so cute. I still can not get over how big he is. Still an adorbale little baby boy though. I hope his recovery goes well. Cant wait to hear how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy handsome little guy. Thanks again for watching our kiddos on such a busy day for you. You guys are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetie!!! Glad that everything went so well! We're thinking of you guys this weekend and missing you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so glad things went great. Give that cutie and hug and kiss from grandma joy and grandpa mitch. We love you. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete