Monday, November 17, 2008

Some Perspective....

Since I never really leave the house, the only difference I can tell environment-wise that we are living in the Midwest is the lack of family nearby. But other than that, it's easy to forget that we are thousands of miles away.

That is, until recently - when Jeremy and I sat down to devise a plan of attack for the marathon road-trip back home for Thanksgiving. We weren't going to drive home for Thanksgiving, but since I'm staying behind to help with my sister's showers and receptions, we decided to drive since I will need the car. Anyway....some perspective of where we are living:

Mileage from Omaha to Nampa, ID (home): 1,250 miles

I thought it would be interesting to see where that would distance would take us if we were to head east instead of west:

Mileage from Omaha to New York, NY: 1,257 miles

What?!?!?

So we played around with it a little more, just for fun:

Mileage from Omaha to Charleston, SC: 1,300 miles
Mileage from Omaha to Chicago, IL: 481 (Super close relatively; we will have to do a weekend trip here sometime)
Mileage from Omaha to New Orleans, LA: 1,120 miles

Anyway, Jeremy and I were getting a kick out of figuring out that we are practically smack-dab in the middle of the country.

My favorite:

Omaha to Washington, DC: 1,153 miles. (If we survive this trip with the kids, we are SO going there next Thanksgiving. Just kidding mom and dad!!! Maybe!!!)

9 comments:

  1. Nampa, Idaho to Cleveland, Ohio....2044 Miles. Twice. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Sounds like fun! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, make the drive with two kids under two and THEN we'll talk. THAT's the end of the story....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awful drive/trip with two kids - but I'm glad you're making it. I don't know what you're doing Sunday, Dec. 7, but maybe you guys could come to Carlee's blessing. Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm....I guess I forgot about the kids thing. OK OK OK, I give it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did a weekend trip to Chicago w/the kids at Christmas time...so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see you guys! You should buy a dvd player for the car. It would probably be worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry the drive is so long, but I am really excited that you are going to be here for awhile. Hopefully I will have some days off when you are here!

    ReplyDelete