Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Some Thoughts....


...before I post the Halloween pictures. Watching the election and it looks like Obama is on his way to victory. Once again, I have to echo the thoughts of Peggy Noonan about this election. (And if, by some chance, the election goes another way after I have gone to bed then I still want to echo the sentiments.)

On Feb. 5, Super Tuesday, Mr. Obama won the Alabama primary with 56% to Hillary Clinton's 42%. That evening, a friend watched the victory speech on TV in his suburban den. His 10-year-old daughter walked in, saw on the screen "Obama Wins" and "Alabama." She said, "Daddy, we saw a documentary on Martin Luther King Day in school." She said, "That's where they used the hoses." Suddenly my friend saw it new. Birmingham, 1963, and the water hoses used against the civil rights demonstrators. And now look, the black man thanking Alabama for his victory.

This means nothing? This means a great deal.

It IS a big deal and I think that putting politics and differences (and there ARE differences, believe me) aside, sitting down tonight seeing everything unfold did feel a little like watching history happen, because it was.

So whether you supported him or not, seeing all of these African Americans, especially older African Americans who can REMEMBER when they couldn't even VOTE, seeing Barack Obama become the President-Elect has to be amazing. (Even though Charlie Gibson needs to lay off - it's like he's trying to make it about him that HE got to be there for this night. Get over yourself.)

Last part of Peggy Noonan's article that I really loved. It gives great perspective.

But let's be frank. Something new is happening in America. It is the imminent arrival of a new liberal moment. History happens, it makes its turns, you hold on for dear life. Life moves.

And now it's time for conservatives to hold on for dear life - but to unite and move on as life moves on. (As opposed to those like, say, Heidi Klum, who warned of leaving the country if the opposite party would have won tonight.) Because at the end of the day, we are all so lucky to live in this country. I'm actually way more interested in some congressional races in Idaho, here in Nebraska and propositions in California.

Thanks for listening....I will now reward you with some Halloween pictures of my kidlets!

(OK, it's one picture, the rest of the pictures are on my parent's camera and I will post them as soon as I get them.)

Here is Addie and super-cutie Dillon at our ward's chili cookoff and trunk or treat the night before Halloween. Davis had an ear infection so stayed home with me, but Jeremy took her and they had a fun time.

Will post more pictures later. Onward!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Addy is seriously so beautiful. I can not believe how much she has changed and how amazing she looks. I miss her so much. Loved your comments about election as well. I loved watching the election last night eventhough I voted against him still an amazing moment in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had so much fun that night chasing eachother around! I'm so glad Dillon has a friend like Addi and I can't tell you how glad I am for you too! You're both lifesavers to us!

    ReplyDelete