Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rrrrreally????

I got no less than three texts last night asking about the presidential debate. You wanna know something???!?

I wasn't watching the debate....I was SHOE SHOPPING. That's right, instead of becoming an informed voter I was becoming a cute momma and getting a new pair of shoes. (That reminds me of Meg Ryan's line in "You've Got Mail" where she confesses to her boyfriend that she forgot to vote in the last election because she was getting a manicure.)

I have to say I am becoming so disillusioned with ALL of it.

Sarah Palin
While the choice initially got my attention, I just think it was too rushed. She should have either been spotted and prepped two years ago, or spotted and prepped for four (or eight, as the case may be) from now. She just wasn't ready. I *HATE* when people makes attacks on her intelligence because she stayed home and raised a family or because she attended the University of Idaho (gasp!) or lived in a rural area. I also hate it when she totally plays up the "folksy-ness" of her language. I think her quote about having a "Joe Sixpack" in office bugged more than anything. Uhhh...I know that in our country we like to believe that anybody can aspire to that office. And they can and it's great. But you don't aspire to it and then next year become it. I've been there and D.C. is super complex and super intricate and to downplay it as something some frat boy could do was a bit disheartening. Rrrright.

Joe Biden:

I love the way Peggy Noonan from the WSJ describes Biden. "It continues to be true that nobody really cares what Joe Biden says. He could announce his hairdo is going to war with Mrs. Palin's hairdo on the fields of Agincourt, and no one would pay attention." It's true. And it's SO obvious that he's had botox and some eye work done. Instead of all of the denials, he should just come up with some medical excuse for his cosmetic enhancements like the celebs who get nose jobs because of a "deviated septum." Rrrrright.

Obama:
So, I get that he's a fascinating public speaker, young and fresh and full of the right talking points. I just have a hard time with all of the abstract-ness of his campaign (both campaigns actually). I liked in the Republican Convention when Rudy Guiliani (or somebody else, can't remember who) said "Hope is not a policy and Change is not a strategy." All of the ethereal slogans will make the contrast of being in office (if he wins, which looks most likely at this point) and having to compromise and scale down and be realistic even that more dramatic. I do, love watching his wife do the talk shows and he has gorgeous kids. She would be a great first lady.

He just is such an unknown. Then he goes around staying stuff like, "
I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." Say What? Rrrreally???

McCain:
My kids are waking up and need me so I need to post this and get back to real life. I've always super respected him and his experiences as a POW and as a Senator. He is old, I think that it's ok to say that without being viewed as an ageist (gasp!). I think that's something to think about because dude will be 76 at the end of his first term if he wins. 80 at the end of his second term (not happening). And his campaign and rallys have been so negative lately, which means he's on the defensive which means they think Obama is gaining a lead which means Obama is gaining a lead. I just was shocked when he won the nomination because I could never fathom how the RNC would sell him against Obama. And it looks like I might have been right!

Last political rant for those of you who are still reading, which is doubtful at this point.

I *get* that we needed this economic bill to "bailout" the banks, bad mortgages and homeowners. That doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. I saw this image on a columnist's blog the other day and it made me laugh.
So by their logic, can Jeremy and I take out massive loans at zero interest knowing we have no way of paying them back, then after graduation when the rate goes up, say "sorry" and have the government pay them off? Cause that would rock....

I had to laugh because Dave Ramsey, a financial advisor, was on GMA the other morning and a couple was asking if they should buy a house right now. They had no emergency savings fund and didn't have a substantial down payment and Dave looked right at the camera and just said, "Don't buy a house until you can freaking afford it."

Or the moratoriums on foreclosures. A conservative blogger made an interesting point: And hey, why stop at foreclosure moratoriums?

How about a rent moratorium for idiots like me who stayed out of the housing market and took a pass on indulging on an overpriced McMansion with no money down and an ARM?

I get that we had to do this because of the ripple effect it was having on the rest of our economy and the worldwide economy. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

So who am I voting for??? Hmmm....maybe I'll go get a manicure instead.

P.S. Anybody want my fiesty toddler? I swear the first thing she says when she wakes up and the last thing she says before bed is "nnnnno!" (Emphasis on the "n"). Lovely.

4 comments:

  1. Natalie- You have got to be kidding me! Michelle Obama! She is mean and she never misses an episode of Sex in the City. That is really what I look for in a first lady-- how about grace and someone who is "proud" of our country. If I see her and Barack bump fists one more time like this is a bad episode of the Martin Lawerence show I might throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer so we could talk politics . . . phone conversations aren't the same. I am soooo sick of talking it with my students but they are vastly into the whole process - which is awesome. So, I'm going to be happy in 19 days when it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome...I'm definitely more involved with trying to pass Prop 8 than I have been with the presidential debates. I am not a fan of anyone running...I really can't believe these are the BEST candidates that America has to offer.

    ReplyDelete